Tuesday, March 12, 2013

MTHFR Resources

An independent researcher, Richard van Konynenburg, PhD., developed a hypothesis that a genetic defect* which causes MTHFR deficiency might be a fundamental cause of ME/CFS and similar illnesses.  Rich's hypothesis was based on Dr. Amy Yasko's work related to the same genetic defect in autistic children.

Essentially, Rich's hypothesis says that the MTHFR genetic defect impairs the body's methylation pathway and consequently its ability to manufacture glutathione, and that an insufficient level of this essential amino acid compound in the body can result in many metabolic dysfunctions. These dysfunctions manifest in diverse symptoms, including fatigue, cognitive impairment, pain, thyroid dysfunction (low body temperature, intolerance of heat and cold), low cortisol levels, low blood volume, poor elimination of toxins and many others associated with ME/CFS and other chronic but poorly understood illnesses.

Rich gave a lecture in Sweden  in 2011 which reviews the biochemistry involved, and then discusses how his hypothesis can explain the many and varied symptoms experienced by people with ME/CFS and similar disorders such as Fibromyalgia, MCS, and chronic Lyme disease.

As a person who has been ill with "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" for over 18 years, I feel that watching this lecture may have been the most important thing that I have done in my life.

Based on both my personal experience with addressing my own MTHFR deficiency, as well as my experiments with my coil machine, I believe that I was suffering with a chronic Lyme infection, as well as chronic coinfections by pathogens often found in people with Lyme disease. However, I now believe that my chronic Lyme disease and coinfections are only part of the picture.

Equally important is my MTHFR deficiency. As Rich explains, this genetic defect impairs the body's ability to process and eliminate toxins. He points out that toxins place additional stress on the body - and that stress of any kind aggravates the MTHFR deficiency. It's a vicious cycle, and unless action is taken to address the genetic defect, there is no way for the body to recover.

Since the process of killing pathogens with my coil machine was releasing large amounts of toxins, and my body - due to the genetic defect - was unable to efficiently remove these toxins, overall I felt little improvement. During the summer of 2012, when I was at the peak of killing Lyme spirochetes, my condition deteriorated dramatically. Because, I believe, of the buildup of the toxins from their dead little corpses, I felt even sicker than I had earlier in the year.

Now that I am addressing my genetic defect with nutritional supplements which supply crucial nutrients which my body cannot otherwise produce because of the defect, I am experiencing noticeable improvement.

Below are links to resources which have helped me to understand the relationship between my genetic defect and my long-term illness.

Richard van Konynenburg

Lecture, Sweden, 2011 - The definitive discussion of Rich's hypothesis. This video is in three parts totaling over 3 hours, but it is very informative as well as (for me, at least) quite entertaining. Rich was a great speaker and was brilliant at explaining the background biochemistry which ties the MTHFR genetic defect to the myriad complex of symptoms experienced by people with ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia, chronic Lyme disease, and other similar disorders.

See also the Slides in PDF form from the above lecture, and the pages below on Phoenix Rising:

ILADS Boston 2012 Lectures

In the fall of 2012, ILADS held a conference in Boston. Rich van Konynenburg sadly died a few days before he was scheduled to present a lecture at this conference.

Rich and Neil Nathan, MD, conducted a promising clinical study based on Rich's hypothesis. At the conference, in Rich's absence, Dr Nathan presented a brief overview of the methylation/glutathione biochemistry and a very upbeat review of the results of the study. He also made a related presentation about his work based on Richie Shoemaker's neurotoxin theories and treatments.

At the same conference, Wayne Anderson, ND, discussed biotoxins and the methylation pathway.

All of these videos are available (for $15 each) on the ILADS 2012 Boston Videos page. Dr. Nathan's discussion of partially blocked methylation pathways and the clinical study he conducted with Rich van Konynenburg is entitled "Got Methylation?"

Information and Resources

Here are links to additional sites with more information about the genetic defect and its consequences, as well as treatment information and supplement resources.

Overview and Symptoms

Doctors

Supplement Sources

Make sure you get B-12 lozenges, not tablets or capsules, because only the lozenges are sublingual, meaning they can be dissolved under the tongue. (See below for more information.)

Additional Information


Notes

Start Slowly!

Several of the doctors above caution against beginning with high dosages of methyl folate and methyl B-12 if you have ME/CFS and/or Fibromyalgia, because these may cause significant side effects as toxins which have built up in the body over the years are released. Rich van K. makes the same caution.

I can attest from bitter experience that this is indeed possible; I experienced excruciating pain for several weeks until I cut way back on the dose of methyl B-12 I was taking, and eliminated methyl folate entirely.

At this time (mid-March 2013) I can only tolerate 500 mcg of methyl B-12 per day, and it took me a while of two days on, one day off to work up to that amount on a daily basis. Any more than that and the pain starts coming back. I hope I'll be able to increase the dosage soon, and add some methyl folate as well.

Sublingual, not Swallowed

Some of the doctors listed above say that methyl B-12 is not absorbed by the stomach lining, or is destroyed by stomach acid. This is why I am using a sublingual version, made by Jarrow. I've been able to order this through various web sites (see above).

Danger: Cyanide and Folic Acid!

Because I have the MTHFR gene mutation, I am always very careful to distinguish between the methyl (active form) versions of B-12 (cobalamin) and folate (B-9) and the inactive forms commonly sold in drug stores and used as food additives.

These inactive forms, cyanocobalamin and folic acid, are not only essentially useless to people with the MTHFR gene defect, they can actually be harmful. (See also the quote from a fellow called Sergio on Rich's Tribute Page: "[Rich] diagnosed a cyanide poisoning I was suffering from taking cyanocobalamine.")

I avoid all foods and supplements containing either folic acid or cyanocobalamin.

Also, I am careful to point out to any doctors who order lab tests that the standard tests for B-12 and folate are useless for people with the MTHFR gene mutations, like me. In fact, my B-12 level was high in a test done last fall, at the same time that my mutation was detected. It was high because, although I'm ingesting plenty of the inactive form from food, my body can't convert it to the active form, methylcobalamin, or methyl B-12.

To my knowledge, the only lab in the US which can test properly for the active form of folate (methyl folate) and related glutathione deficiency and other dysfunctions is Health Diagnostics and Research Institute (formerly Vitamin Diagnostics) in South Amboy, NJ. Rich van Konynenburg recommended their Methylation Pathways Panel.


*Although there are variations by region and also by ethnic background, at least one of the two possible MTHFR genetic defects is estimated to be present in approximately 40% of the world's population. In test sample, approximately 30% had the 677 mutation, while 7 to 14% had the 1298 mutation, which associated with, among other things, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I found your blog and think it is an incredible resource for women suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. I appreciate that your blog is giving women with this issue important information and resources.
    I want to reach out and introduce myself. My name is Kendra and I am the Outreach Coordinator for Womens Wellness Publishing.
    I want to let you know that our lead author, Susan Lark, M.D. has just written a fantastic new book, Dr. Susan’s Solutions: The Chronic Fatigue Cure. http://amzn.to/1aWvu1e
    Her new book is an incredibly helpful guide to healing from CFS, fibromyalgia, chronic pain and depression and restoring your energy, vitality and joy of living.
    In the book, she shares her all natural treatment program that has helped thousands of her patients eliminate their debilitating symptoms. Most of her patients have been able to heal from their CFS and restore their energy and vitality without the use of toxic drugs and hormones with her all natural treatment program.
    Dr. Lark posts wonderful health features for women on our Womens Wellness Facebook page and she has many devoted fans. http://on.fb.me/19MEZAC
    Dr. Susan's Solutions: The Chronic Fatigue Cure has wonderful information on the most effective vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids and herbs to eliminate CFS and fibromyalgia. It includes effective therapies have enabled her CFS patients to recover and enjoy symptom free lives!
    Her book also has great information on the major causes of chronic fatigue, the latest medical diagnostic techniques and the pros and cons of drug therapies. It is an all around great book and we really look forward to sharing it with you.
    We'd love to have Dr. Susan's Solutions: The Chronic Fatigue Cure featured in your blog. We would be happy to send you a copy of the book and provide any additional support that you would like.
    I look forward to hearing from you! I can be reached at my email address, kendra.wwp@gmail.com
    Best regards,
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big thanks to Dr James for reserving my ALS disease with his effective herbal formula. I was diagnosed of ALS disease 5 months ago of all the horrible experience, I was bitterly in pains. My symptoms progressed so fast that I couldn't eat proper, walk, work, breath well, it was my worse part of life then. On this fateful day, I came across a post just like this concerning a patient who used Dr James herbal medicine herbal formula to reserve her ALS disease for over 4 years now. I was skeptical about it but I had no choice than to also contact this dr James I visited his blog site and made my orders. To cut it short, I used the herbal formula for six weeks as instructed and today makes it 7 months without no symptoms. I am also making my testimony about this miraculous did. I have been given 3 years ALS disease reserved guarantee after which i will make another purchase for another 3 years span again. Thank you very much dr James.  For those who needs help, you can reach him via email on jamesherbalformula@ gmail. com or WhatsApp number: ( +2348102574680) or visit his blog site on www. endcurealstoday.blogspot. com please add the blog together. Let's share this and help everyone. Don't judge until you give it a try  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. James herbal medications will cure any inch of your Fibroid, OK. When taken Dr. James herbal mix medicine to cure your Fibroid and any other Infertility, You must not be far from your home, because it will make you visit the restroom often in passing out the Fibroid gradually Thanks to Dr. James herbal mixed medicine for his help in shrinking off my long term uterine fibroid. I had pelvic pain, heavy menses, and swelling. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with fibroid and advised to go for surgery. I was scared and I went online for more info and remedy for fibroid. Luckily, I found Dr. James's natural medication for fibroid. I reached out to him, and he prepared me with his herbal mix medicine for fibroid shrinking, and I used the medicine as he prescribed for me and my fibroid disappeared totally and is now a year plus since I got cured. His herbal medicine is easy to drink with no side effects.… He also specializes in providing solutions in any of these spiritual gynecology diseases affect human existence such as:
    1 fibroid, asthma, ALL STDs, Urine tract infection
    2 weakness of man organ
    3 infections of all kinds (yeast infection)
    4 blockages from the fallopian tube
    5 cysts. From the ovaries
    6 unpleasant smell from the vagina
    7 irregular menstruation, menopause
    8 infertility for easy Conception. 9. HIV/AIDS, GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, ALZHEIMER'S/DEMENTIA.
    10.skin diseases, Toilet infection, and bad body odor……. Etc..
    11. Watering sperm (low sperm count) is not able to get a woman pregnant.
    Simply contact the spiritualist on (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your diseases and put yourself on a motherhood side of life.
    (No more adoption, with DR JAMES your problem will be solved and you will have your child with ease.
    Contact Dr. James on his Email at (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com).your solution home!  

    ReplyDelete