Average age of cancer deaths:
- ME/CFS – 47.8 years
- Avg population – 72.0 years
- Difference – 24.2 years
Average age of heart failure deaths:
- ME/CFS – 58.7 years
- Avg population – 83.1 years
- Difference – 24.4 years
Average age of suicide deaths:
- ME/CFS – 39.5 years
- Avg population – 48.0 years
- Difference – 8.5 years
The dramatic results of this preliminary study begs the question: why hasn't more research been done in this area?
Imagine the impact on the potential funding for research into ME/CFIDS/XMRV if a more comprehensive study produced the same results - and got the kind of coverage in the media that the WPI XMRV study did.
- Causes of Death Among Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Jason et al - The original study. Also here. See also Dr. Jason's web site.
- Causes of Death among Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - A Dig Deep News blog post. Summary and links.
- Cause of Death among Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Phoenix Rising forum thread.